As spiritual beings in physical form, we all yearn to create and connect with our world, both inner and outer. Drawing and painting flowers with watercolor is a wonderful way we can feel and know the soul in a sacred world.
This watercolor workshop is for students of all levels who love and enjoy flowers and want to express that joy in watercolor in a safe, supportive, and lighthearted atmosphere. We experience increased perception and facility in drawing through a unique combination of gesture, blind contour, and modified contour drawing. We may then transfer our flower drawings to watercolor paper, which can give freedom from the anxiety so often felt when drawing directly on watercolor paper.
We strive to stay more in the process of painting rather than focusing too soon on the finished product. We also explore mixing colors, various ways to paint backgrounds, negative painting, and more—including the artful practice of keeping a sketchbook.
Enrollment is limited for this program; register early.
Art Kits can be rented for $30 or purchased in advance for $70 and include 1 full sheet of Arches 100% rag cold-press watercolor paper, (4) 5ml tubes of Grumbacher Academy watercolors, 4 synthetic watercolor brushes: (3/4” flat, #6 & #14 rounds, 1 script liner), 1 folding watercolor palette, a sponge, pencil, eraser and support board. Rented kits include paper, brushes & enough paint for the workshop. For either, you will still need to bring 2 water containers, an old toothbrush, and a sketchbook or notebook.
To rent or purchase a kit or if you have any questions, contact the faculty:
Things To Bring
Suggestions only. If you have painted before and have materials that are comparable, just bring what you have.
- A cool red: Red Rose Deep, Permanent Rose, Thalo Crimson** etc.
- Cadmium Yellow Lt (or pale) Any light yellow is fine**
- Quinacridone Gold**
- Phthalo (“thalo”) Blue** or Winsor Blue, Green Shade
- Ultramarine Blue
- 140# 100% rag, cold press watercolor paper (Arches preferred) 1-2 full sheets (22 x 30”) is usually the cheapest way to get paper. For ease of transportation you may tear or cut in half or quarters. Full sheets of Arches will be available for $8 a sheet**
- Any watercolor paper you already have to experiment on.
Watercolor Brushes (Need not be expensive; synthetic is fine)
- Round: Size 10** or 12
- 2 Flats: 3/4” synthetic** 1” wash natural hair (doesn’t need to be sable)
- Watercolor Brushes (Need not be expensive; synthetic is fine)
- A white covered watercolor palette with a large mixing area. A small folding palette is fine.**
- Pencils: 2B and 4B (medium and soft)
- Pen: Sharpie fine pt or ultra fine point
- Erasers: White Plastic and/or Kneaded
- Sketchbook: Bring what you have. If getting for 1st time, 6” x 9” or 9”x12” “Aquabee Super Deluxe Sketchbook” recommended (available online)
- 2 Water containers (deli tubs are good)
- Lightweight support board 12” x 16” (or larger if you want to work larger; more than one support board can be handy)
- Salt in a small container (optional)
- Small bottle/vase (to hold a flower)
- Old tooth brush
- Hair dryer (optional)
- Reference photos (printed out 4 x 6” or larger)
- Masking tape*
- Paper towel and/or tissue*
- Flowers (if possible)*
*1“ Masking tape, paper towels, tissue and flowers will be provided by Omega, but you may want to bring your own.
**These item will be for sale at the workshop.
If you have any questions, contact the faculty:
|4:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.||Check In (Rooms available after 5:00 p.m.)|
|7:30 p.m.–7:50 p.m.||Welcome & Orientation|
|8:00 a.m.–8:45 a.m.||Commuter check-in (if not checked-in the previous evening)|
|2:30 p.m.–5:00 p.m.||Workshop|
|2:30 p.m.–5:00 p.m.||Workshop|
|2:30 p.m.–5:00 p.m.||Workshop|
|1:00 p.m.||Check Out|
The above schedule is subject to change at the discretion of the faculty.
Dining Hall Hours (Meals begin with dinner on arrival day and end with lunch on departure day.):
Breakfast: 7:00 a.m.–8:45 a.m.
Lunch: Noon–2:00 p.m.
Dinner: 6:00 p.m.–7:15 p.m.
Daily Open Classes in meditation, yoga, tai chi, or movement (subject to availability):
7:00–8:00 a.m., 12:15–1:00 p.m., 5:30–6:15 p.m., 5:30–6:30 p.m.
Meet the Teachers
Award-winning artist Ann Kristin Lindsay was born in Chicago and received her formal art training ...
Tuition & Fees
This workshop is sold out. Contact Omega registration at 877.944.2002 or firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on a waiting list.
Painting Flowers in Watercolor
Tuition covers your workshop costs and time spent in class with the faculty. Please see Stay With Us below for accommodation choices—which include meals and other amenities for those who wish to stay with us. Or see Commute for those who will not be staying on campus overnight.
Accommodations cover your room, all meals, and use of amenities and facilities—which includes optional classes, evening performances, sampler classes (during the week), the lake, walking trails, parking, and all other guest services. A list of local hotels and inns is available for those who wish to stay off-campus and commute (see Commute below).
5 Nights Commuter Fee
If you are a commuter not staying in Omega accommodations, this non optional fee covers Omegas overhead costs, all meals, and use of the facilities, which includes optional classes, evening performances, sampler classes (during the week), the lake, walking trails, parking, and all guest services. An off-campus referral list is available.
Omega reserves the right to cancel a program at any time. If Omega cancels a program, you will receive a full refund.
Refunds are available (less a $55 processing fee) up to eight days before your program or stay.
Nonrefundable credit toward a future Omega program or stay (less a $55 processing fee) is available if you give notice between seven and one day(s) before your program or stay. Credit may be applied to any Omega program or stay for one year following date of issue.
No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the arrival day; if you do not show up; or if you leave an event early for any reason. No refund will be available if you attend a program and are dissatisfied with its presentation or content.
For more cancellation policies, see individual workshops or the more detailed Omega Cancellations & Refund Policies page.
Program Insurance is available through TravMark's A+ Program Protection Plans. Get a free quote today.
|Certificate of Attendance||$25|